UVA employees are subject to a variety of conflict of interest laws, regulations, and requirements depending on their official duties for the University and external financial relationships. This website provides general information, references, and resources to assist you in meeting your personal obligations to comply with conflict of interest requirements; it is not intended as legal advice and should not be construed as such. Any questions regarding interpretation and application of laws and regulations should be directed to the responsible federal or state government office.
A conflict of interest is defined in University policy as the "real or apparent interference of one person's interest with the interest of another person, where potential bias may occur due to prior or existing personal or professional relationships." From an organizational perspective, this includes situations where a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official University capacity. The primary responsibility is on the individual employee to know, understand, and fulfill their personal compliance obligations with regard to conflicts of interest.
University Policies on Conflicts of Interest
Each agency of the University of Virginia has adopted its own policy to addresses potential conflicts of interest. For more detailed information—including clarifications of and links to federal and state laws and regulations—please refer to the policy relevant to your agency:
- Academic Division – University Policy FIN-054: Employee Obligation to Report Potential Conflicts of Interest.
- Medical Center – Medical Center Policy 0013: Vendors, Sales and Service Representatives at the Medical Center and Health System Policy BEH-002: Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment
- College at Wise – see Faculty Handbook or Staff Handbook on Faculty & Staff Resources website, in the Resources section
This website and the following offices are focused primarily on conflicts of interest in the Academic Division, but you are welcome to contact us for assistance in reaching an appropriate contact elsewhere at the University of Virginia.
Areas of Conflict of Interest
Conflicts of interest may occur in many activities throughout the University. To seek guidance on specific circumstances, please contact the relevant office directly.
- UVA Human Resources manages issues related to the recruitment, hiring, management, and retention of employees, as well as compiling a list of employees required to file a Statement of Economic Interests.
- Procurement and Supplier Diversity Services manages the review and internal routing of disclosures related to procurement activities and the acceptance of gifts.
- The Vice President for Research manages research-related requirements for financial interest disclosure, conflicts of interest identification and management, and reporting.
- The EVP & Provost identifies and manages conflict of interest and commitment issues of faculty and professional research staff.
- The University Compliance Office provides general oversight and coordination of the University's compliance programs and can help employees identify which conflict of interest requirements may apply to their particular activities or circumstances and direct them to the appropriate state or institutional resources.